Monday, February 2, 2009

The first of several

Well, I guess it's been a while since I've posted on this blog and now it's time to fill ya in on what's been going on in the last month. Let me preface this note with a passage that I read this morning from Hebrews: "Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our 'God is a consuming fire'" (12:28-29)

After moving over here with the economy going down the tank and seeing and hearing about the effects this has had on my friends and family this passage comes as a reminder of the foundation on which my hope is placed...an awesome and unshakable God. Though, at times it seems like my world is never firm.

This past month is a good example of that. It started at the end of December as we prepared for a special two week event after our vacation. The prep work was insane as we copied and bound over 70 books on-top-of doing our regular jobs...needless to say we were all ready for a vacation, even a shortened one.


During the break I went to visit Kristin Singletary up in Seoul for the New Years. That was an adventure where we witnessed a thousands of cops lining the streets and happened to walk into a peaceful protest of the current president. Needless to say, I was impressed. This ended up being the most exciting event of the holidays besides the new teacher arriving. After that, things started to go crazy because our two week special class started.



The first surprise I got coming back was that our supervisor had quit, though later I found out that she was going to be fired for not doing her job. This actually improved moral at school and we started the day running. If you've ever been to Russia with World Wide Youth Camps, or if you've done extensive planning for an event then you know that when it comes time to executing those plans they don't always flow the way you envisioned. This was no less true of our planning and execution. To keep this post from being overly long I'll cut down the story. The curriculum was too much for the students in the short amount of time that we had to teach, so we had to push through it and/or if the Korean teachers finished early in their classes they would go over what we didn't get to. God got us through the two weeks and by the end we were all exhausted.

It was at the end of this period that I discovered saunas here. Apparently, going to the sauna is a favorite thing to do for Koreans, which was surprise number two. I've found it to be quite relaxing myself, and it was during my first time that I made friends with a business man who is now helping me with my Korean. In turn, I'm helping him with his English. God has opened another door, I believe, with this new friendship.



In addition to this new friend, my friends from Wisconsin(in the picture) have introduced me to one of their friends who is working in an orphanage here. I should be finding out more information soon. Please keep this in your prayers.

After seeing how long this post is, I'm going to stop here for now.

No comments: