Saturday, December 13, 2008

The First two weeks

Well, it’s been two weeks now and there have already been some ups and downs. One up is that God is amazing in answering prayers. A little over a week ago I was praying hard for a church to go to and some friends to hang out with. That very morning one of the teachers at the kindergarten that I work at invited me to go to church with her and her friends. Seeing God’s hand in this I said yes and went, making several new friends getting their contact information to hang out with during the week. I’ve also made one successful journey to downtown Daegu using the bus system and was able to purchase a transformer to power my laptop so I wouldn’t blow it up. Another good thing that has happened is that God’s already revealing to me why I’m here in Daegu. A teacher that I teach with at the iSponge Hogwan (language school) is a Catholic and apparently in need of encouragement with work and spirituality. I feel God is using me as his eyes, ears and mouth all at the same time as Sarah asks me for advice and/or uses me as she calls it… “a counselor”. God is being glorified in this matter and my prayer is that His name will continue to be glorified by Sarah and the rest of the people I work with.
The downs that I’ve experienced are minor frustrations, like the disorganization of the ISponge School and that it is a brand new school. I wanted it to be one that has already been in existence for several years, but it’s not…oh, well. These things I can’t control and so I’m not dwelling on them very much, if at all. I am praying, though, that my supervisor start taking charge and laying out some things about the curriculum and class management so that we are all on the same page and know how to handle things.
I leave you with these three verses from Psalms 90 that have struck a chord with me:
12 “Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.”
14 “Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.”
17 “May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us – yes, establish the work of our hands.”
Till next time… God bless

4 comments:

Rob said...

Love you Bob. Thanks for the updates. We think of you often.

Rob

Karla said...

BBS
Terry and I lived in Taegu in 1990-1991. We lived in Bong-duk-dong close to the Army bases. There was a DOD (K-12) school on Camp George when we lived there. There are many Americans living on the economy in this area. I will be praying for you. Eat some kimchi for me and climb Mt Sorak.

Unknown said...

I like that you have confidence from your faith and are watching for opportunities. My wife and I adopted a Korean girl from Seoul who is now 6. Your students are studying English in Korea, my daughter is studying Korean in Atlanta.

wxjeff said...

Most excellent, Rob. I also spent some time in Taegu. Thirty days in a tent at "K-2" in the spring of 1983.... always wanted to go back!!